Software Engineer, Android
Opareta is democratizing access to financial services for micro, small and medium-sized mobile money agent enterprises by supercharging the adoption of digital tools and services. By leveraging our mobile app, mobile money agents not only increase their earnings with faster transactions but also get access to working capital loans that build business resilience. We seek to deliver a delightful, intuitive mobile experience for agents. This is our guiding principle. And we need Android engineers to make it a reality.
We are looking for an Android Engineer to join our team. You should be someone that likes to ship. You are comfortable working with Java and/or Kotlin. You are proud of your code but knowledgeable enough to know how to manage implementation tradeoffs. You should have a product mindset — engineers on this team are product people, too. The position is fully remote.
- Work with the team to plan, shape, and build new product features for our Android app.
- Improve the performance, reliability, and polish of our Android app.
- Help build and improve internal tools with simplicity and productivity in mind.
- Contribute to the improvement of engineering best practices at Opareta.
- Work on a distributed team.
- Thoughtful problem-solving: For you, problem-solving starts with a clear and accurate understanding of the context. You can decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution, by yourself or with teammates. You’re comfortable asking for help when you get stuck.
- Ability to ship quality apps at scale: You can work with a team to build and maintain quality Android apps for a large audience. You’re familiar with Java or Kotlin and have handled UI, networking, and threading in those languages.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You care about business impact and prioritize projects accordingly. You’re not just going after cool stuff—you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Put users first: You think critically about the implications of what you’re building, and how it shapes real people’s lives. You understand that reach comes with responsibility for our impact—good and bad.
- Not ideological about technology: To you, technologies and programming languages are about tradeoffs. You may be opinionated, but you’re not ideological and can learn new technologies as you go.
- Empathetic communication: You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you’re explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
- Team player: For you, work isn’t a solo endeavor. You enjoy collaborating cross-functionally to accomplish shared goals, and you care about learning, growing, and helping others to do the same.
If you’re interested in joining us, but don’t tick every box above, we still encourage you to apply. We’re building a diverse team whose skills, experiences, and background complement one another. We’re happy to consider where you might be able to make the biggest impact.
Opareta is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, race, orientation or religion are encouraged to apply.