Senior Software Engineer
Opareta is democratizing access to financial services for micro, small and medium-sized mobile money agent enterprises by supercharging the adoption of digital tools and services. By leveraging our mobile app, mobile money agents not only increase their earnings with faster transactions but also get access to working capital loans that build business resilience.
Opareta’s platform is made up of 3 sides—an Android Java mobile app, a React frontend web app and a Node.js backend for APIs and data ingestion and processing. We are looking for help to maintain and build out features in the backend that help with data ingestion and processing, transaction classification and other platform-based initiatives.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team. You should be someone that likes to ship. You are comfortable working across the entire stack. You are proud of your code but knowledgeable enough to know how to manage implementation tradeoffs. You should have a product mindset — engineers on this team are product people, too. The position is fully remote.
- Architect new features
- Work with colleagues to understand new product requirements and work with the Product Manager to spec out exciting new features and tools that our users and team members are asking for.
- Build them
- Own the end-to-end development of product features. You can start with database design and build all the way to API endpoints, triggered events or data manipulation on our Postgres instance. Your code to bring your features to life and have them deployed in production after peer review and quality assurance.
- Bug fixes
- Ability to assess bugs to identify the underlying cause and most especially ensure they do not recur. Work closely with colleagues to ideate solutions to user problems
- Support the field team
- Keep the agent success team in the loop regarding feature timelines. Build simple dashboards or SQL queries to support operations as needed. Mentor your colleagues and help out where and when guidance is needed.
- Chart your path
- We are a small team — you will ultimately decide the definition of your role and grow to reflect your strengths and interests.
- 5+ years of real-world experience as a software developer deploying to production
- Enjoy and have experience building production quality APIs at scale.
- While we think ourselves language-agnostic, we expect someone in your role to have experience with or be willing to learn our stack:
- Node.js (language we are working with)
- PostgreSQL (our main datastore)
- Google Cloud Compute (or passable DevOps experience)
- Collaboration skills
- You are just fine working autonomously or in a team while demonstrating ego-free collaboration and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- You should be able to take accountability and can clearly explain the work you have done. You should also be able to mentor colleagues as needed.
- You can empathize with your teammates and our users. You can put yourself in their scenario as needed to better understand their frame of reference.
If you’re interested in joining us, but don’t tick every box above, we still encourage you to apply. We’re building a diverse team whose skills, experiences, and background complement one another. We’re happy to consider where you might be able to make the biggest impact.
Opareta is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, race, orientation or religion are encouraged to apply.