Software Engineer - Web
Opareta is a fintech company building digital tools for analog mobile money agent networks. By leveraging our mobile app, mobile money agents not only digitize their operations but also get access to the data analytics and working capital they need to sustainably grow their businesses.
Opareta’s platform is made up of 3 sides—an Android Java mobile app, a React web app and a Node.js backend for APIs and data ingestion and processing. We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our team and build out and maintain features in the backend that help with data ingestion and processing, transaction classification and other platform-based initiatives.
You should be someone that likes to ship. You are comfortable working across the entire stack. You are proud of your code but knowledgeable enough to know how to manage implementation tradeoffs. You should have a product mindset — engineers on this team are product people too. The position is fully remote.
- Architect new features
- Work with the team to understand new product requirements and spec out exciting new tools and features for our users and colleagues.
- Build them
- Own the end-to-end development of product features. Your code should actualize features that serve our shared mission to digitize and grow mobile money agent businesses.
- Debug issues
- Ability to assess bugs to identify the underlying cause and most especially ensure they do not recur. Work closely with colleagues to ideate solutions to user problems
- Support the field team
- Keep the agent success team in the loop regarding feature timelines. Build simple dashboards or SQL queries to support operations as needed. Mentor your colleagues and help out where and when guidance is needed.
- Chart your path
- We are a small team — you will ultimately decide the definition of your role and grow to reflect your strengths and interests.
- 5+ years of real-world backend software engineering experience
- Expert knowledge in REST API design and development for use at scale
- Experience with or be willing to learn our stack:
- Node.js, React, Typescript (stack we are working with)
- PostgreSQL (our main datastore)
- Google Cloud Compute (or other DevOps experience)
- Collaboration skills
- You are just fine working autonomously or in a team while demonstrating ego-free collaboration and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- You should be able to take accountability and can clearly explain the work you have done. You should also be able to mentor colleagues as needed.
- You can empathize with your teammates and our users. You can put yourself in their scenario as needed to better understand their frame of reference.
If you’re interested in joining us, but don’t tick every box above, we still encourage you to apply. We’re building a diverse team whose skills, experiences, and background complement one another. We’re happy to consider where you might be able to make the biggest impact.
Opareta is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, race, orientation or religion are encouraged to apply.