User Experience Designer
Opareta is a financial technology company working to revolutionize the mobile money agent business. In 2021, over three million active agents were responsible for $698B of transactions. And this was despite many of them having to rely on outdated tools like physical ledgers, Excel extracts, and informal cash loans to run their businesses.
At Opareta, we envision a different future. We are building a digital operating system to increase the scale and sustainability of agent networks across Sub-Saharan Africa. Our digital tools enable agents to manage transactions, access float loans and build a digital identity that is transferable to other products and platforms.
Why is this role important for Opareta’s work?
We are seeking a User Experience Designer to join our team. You will work with cross-functional teams to turn bold new ideas into tangible products and services that improve the businesses and lives of mobile money agents. As a part of the Design team, you will employ a human-centered approach that starts with our users and ends with products and services that cater to their needs.
Please note: While most of the team works remotely, physical presence in Uganda will often be required for this role.
What will you do?
- Work across all parts of the design process: user research, ideation, prototyping, user experience and user interface design.
- Leverage customer and product discovery techniques and translate findings and insights into testable prototypes.
- Facilitate usability testing through prototyping and research efforts to ensure that all projects deliver value for users while maintaining business viability.
- Lead field visits and focus groups to ensure the customer’s needs are adequately captured and translated into our product design efforts
- Design interactive experiences that make use of stories, prototypes and user interfaces to relate to our user needs.
- Work closely with the Product and Engineering teams to build and iterate Figma designs for Android and Web projects.
- Work on broadly defined, loose concepts or narrowly defined, tactical deliverables as needed.
- Support the development and expansion of our product design systems.
Relevant experience and mindset
- 5+ years of professional UX/UI design experience; ideally in a fast-paced tech environment
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Strong portfolio that shows your work, aesthetics, design thinking processes and deliverables.
- You can explain your work, process and decisions to cross-functional stakeholders. You are open to feedback and work well in a collaborative, team-based environment.
- You can break down complex questions and use your work to communicate that complexity in simple yet powerful ways.
- You are detail oriented and are able to work through competing priorities and deadlines and across functions to deliver excellent design.
- Experience with the different methods and approaches used in the human-centered design process.
- Fluency in Figma and similar UI/UX design tools.
- You learn from failure and embrace trial and error. You have experience in creating low and high fidelity prototypes, at speed. You are able to design within constraints e.g. UI frameworks, design systems.
- You have strong written, verbal and visual presentation skills.
What does this mean for you?
- Join the company with lots of growth potential at the ground floor.
- Work on a product that has meaningful impact on how mobile money agents and agent networks operate.
- Be part of a team that leads with empathy, never stops learning, and values your personal growth.
Opareta is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, race, orientation or religion are encouraged to apply.